Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Monday, December 17, 2012

Salted Caramel Sauce - A Holiday Treat!

I am really really horrible about writing out Christmas cards. In fact I am so horrible this year that I didn't do them at all. And by the time I realized I had not done them...it was too late. Christmas is just a week away!

Instead of cards I decided at a recent holiday party I hosted, that I would give a small homemade party favour. SO more my style anyway!

If you recognize this recipe its because I use this sauce in a Caramel Apple Tart that I featured on this blog. Totally delish if you ask me! But this sauce really is good on a lot of other things; Popcorn, Fruit, Ice cream, brownies, cakes, on a spoon. You get the picture.

In a heavy bottomed pot add 2 Cups of Granulated Sugar over Medium heat. Shake the pot to make sure that the sugar is in an even layer. Now leave it alone for a few minutes, keeping an eye on it to make sure it does not burn.

 After about 5 minutes you will notice the sugar starting to melt and caramelize. At this point you can use a wooden spoon to start to stir the sugar around.
 Once the sugar is all melted you need to constantly stir and keep an eye on it. You want it to turn a deep amber colour...but not burn.
 Once you have achieved the colour this step must be done quickly and carefully.
Remove the pot from the heat and slowly add 1 Cup of Heavy Cream (room temp), about 1/4 cup at a time whisking very vigorously. The sugar is very hot and will bubble up violently...you just need to keep on whisking. Your arm will hurt, but it will be worth it!!
 
Once all the cream is incorporated you can add 2 Tbsp of butter and 1 Tsp of Sea Salt. Whisk to incorporate then set aside to cool.
As the caramel cools it will thicken up nicely!
I find that this sauce keeps in the fridge for a few weeks!
I found these awesome cute jars at our local dollar store. After running them through the dishwasher on Sanitize I ladled in the cooled caramel sauce. A perfect little gift for Christmas.
I prefer it over a card any day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment