Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Spicy Jambalaya

I will be the first to admit that I know very little about southern cooking...and I am sure that the "southern cooking" I have tried in the great white north would be laughable to anyone who is from the south. But I am so intrigued by this food culture. I love the richness about it and the spice. My god do I ever love the spice.

My husband has a weaker stomach than mine so this is a once in a while dish for us...but man, does this ever clear up a congested sinus. You can make this dish with less spice..I have never tried...but I am sure it would still be just as good!

Spicy Jambalaya
 So here is where I know, this dish stops being authentic "southern". I used Spanish Chorizo. I do not have access to Andouille Sausage, which is what is traditionally used. Chop 1 Spanish Chorizo sausage and brown in a large oven proof pot (I used a cast iron pan to saute everything then transferred it to a oven safe dish....I really need a cast iron pot)
 Remove browned sausage and set aside
 In the same pan with all the sausage yummyness, Brown 3 cubed chicken breasts (lightly seasoned with salt, pepper and flour). You just want to get a nice light brown crust on them.
 Chop 1/2 large Onion, 1 Red Pepper and 4 Celery stalks.
 Add half the chopped veggies to the chicken and saute about 2 minutes.
 Make your spice mix. 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper, 1 1/2 tsp White Pepper, 1 tsp dried Basil, 1 tsp dried Thyme, 1 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Black Pepper, 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
 Add your spice Mixture, 1 Large Chopped Tomato, and 2 minced garlic cloves to the pan. Cook for one minute.
 My pan was wayyyy too full so I transferred everything to a pot to finish up. Add 1/2 Cup Marinara sauce, 2 Cups Chicken Broth, 3/4 cup long grain white rice, and the rest of the chopped vegetables. Stir to combine and stick in a 350F oven for 25-30 minutes.
 After 25-30 minutes of baking in the oven, add 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley and 3 Green Onions, also chopped.
 I add my shrimp at this point as well..about 1 lb of Tiger shrimp, shelled and de-veined. Cook in the oven for another 10 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked!
And there you have it.. Canadianized Jambalaya in a spaghetti bowl. Yum, yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment