Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bacon Barley Risotto

This was my attempt at trying to make Risotto healthier. However, I failed when I proceeded to add bacon, butter and cheese to it. At the end of the day this made a great alternative to Rice risotto...and mighty tasty too! But I have to say...butter does make everything better...100%!
Say Hello to Barley. I use it a lot in soups and stews...and now risotto!
In a large deep saucepan add about 8 strips of thick cut bacon, chopped and cook until browned but not quite crispy yet. Add 2 chopped shallots to the mix.
Once the shallots start to turn a little translucent add 1 cup of barley. Just like risotto, you want to toast it slightly on medium heat. Then add 1 Cup of your favourite white wine. They always say...only add wine that you like to drink yourself!
Once the wine has been absorbed into the barley start to add hot chicken stock 1 ladle full at a time, stirring constantly and letting the stock absorb before adding more. I usually have about 1 litre of stock boiling whenever I make risotto. Don't let the Barley get too dry though...you want to keep it pretty "loose" at all times. At this point I check for seasoning, salt, pepper etc.


Once you get to the point where the barley is cooked (about 30 minutes), add 2 tbsp of butter, 1 handfull of chopped flat leaf parsley and 1/2 Cup of grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese. Stir to combine and serve this creamy delicious meal to your friends and family! They will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment