Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Monday, February 27, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

Soooo apparently I took a break from blogging...life just got in the way. But now I am BACK and have a whole bunch of yummy recipes to post!
First off is something warm and hearty for the winter months....not that we are having much of a winter here in the Toronto area! TOTALLY not complaining!


 This soup requires a lot of chopping...so I like to get it all done before I even turn on the stove. Finely Chop 1 Large Spanish Onion and 2 Garlic Cloves.
 Chop 2 Celery Stalks and 3 Carrots
 This is a butternut squash. This is HARD to cut....most of the time I will try my best with my sharpest largest knife and cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast until soft (375F for about an hour). But today I didn't have the time to roast it, so I chopped it up...and I swear it probably took me just as long. So if you can...roast it...flavour city!
 Here is my chopped up squash...at this point i was tired...and did not feel like soup any longer. But I knew my devoted readers would be upset at a half finished recipe....
 In a heavy bottomed soup pot melt about 1 Tbsp of Butter over Medium/High heat.
 Add the Onion, Garlic, Celery and Carrots. Saute until the onions turn translucent.
 Now add all the squash and about a dozen mini red and regular potato's sliced in half. Or if you only half regular sized potato's use about 4 of them chopped. I like to leave the skins on for extra goodness. Stir all this to combine.

 Add about 1 quart of stock or just enough to cover the veggies. Season with salt and pepper.
I like to add 1 bay leaf and about 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme to the pot too. Once the soup starts to boil turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 1 hour.
 All the veggies should be thoroughly cooked and soft.
 Using a hand blender (or pour soup in batches into your full size blender). Blend the soup until smooth.
 Taste at this point for additional seasoning (S&P) and just to give it a kick, I add a tsp of Cayenne Pepper.
Serve with Crispy bacon bits on a cold Winters night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment