Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Crunchy Cauliflower Bites with Spicy Mayo!

I have recently tried disguising foods that my husband refuses to eat into something he will. And it is working. Obviously it involves coating the item in batter or bacon or bread and frying it, but then I get to eat some of my favourite vegetables without him complaining!! This weeks challenge was Cauliflower. I have tried roasting it and making it into soups and my husband won't touch it (well...unless you cover it in cheese!). But these little delightful crunchy bites were a huge hit! He even brought the leftovers for lunch!!
 

 
 
Ingredients:
 
 
1 Head of Cauliflower, Cut into bite size florets
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
2 Cups of Vegetable Oil
Salt & Pepper
 
 Spicy Mayo
 
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Tsp Sriracha Sauce or More...depending on the level of spice you want.
1/4 Tsp Brown Rice Vinegar (I have this at home for cooking stirfrys, but can assume that regular Rice Vinegar would work as well)
1/4 Tsp Sugar (Optional)
 
Take your Cauliflower and chop it up into bite size florets.
 

Toss your Cauliflower in the cornstarch first, then the egg, then the Panko. Make sure you season your panko with Salt and Pepper!

Now fry up the bites in a frying pan with about 1 inch of hot vegetable oil...medium high heat works for me, but if your stove runs hot you may want to lower the heat so as to not burn the bites.

Turn the bites so that every side get nice and brown.

Allow to cool on a paper towel (this will also soak up leftover oil)

Mean while combine your mayo with the hot sauce and vinegar. Personally I don't add the sugar but most people will feel the sweetness is missing.

I decided to include a second dipping sauce to get the sweetness in. Thank you Frank;s Red Hot for this yummy sauce!!

There you have it!! A super yummy way to eat cauliflower!!

So Crispy and delicious!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment