Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Weekend of Preparing Freezer Meals-Part 1

I like to stock up my freezer every 3-4 Months on Freezer meals. My husband and I both work full time and there are nights where both of us are home late and have zero desire to cook!

The first step in this process is finding a weekend where I know I can dedicate 2-3 days to cooking. The reason why I split it up into 3 days is because cooking for 12 hours straight has ZERO appeal for me. This way I split up my recipes and conquer them in steps.

I made a list of dish's I wanted to make. Then I went and scoured the grocery stores and Costco for all my ingredients. The list did get cut in the end because I either couldn't find some of the ingredients or I forgot something or I ran out of freezer space! Below is my list:

Banana Bread Muffins
Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins
Breakfast Burritos
Beef/Bean/Cheese Burritos
Bolognese Sauce
Lasagna Just made sure I made enough Bolognese to make Lasagna another time
Mexican Lasagna
Pulled Pork Enchiladas... Couldn't find Pork Shoulders on Sale
 Pulled Pork Couldn't find Pork Shoulders on Sale
Chili
Cilantro Lime Rice
Korean Beef Got Lazy
AND IF I have the time...Sheppard's Pie. Got Lazy

I also portioned and froze raw Beef Chuck Cubes, Chicken Thighs and Chicken Breasts into Freezer bags in various marinades.


Added to my list was:

Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
Beef Stew

I also made sure I had plenty of Tin Foil, Freezer bags and Lasagna Trays to store all the food in!

So on day 1 I make the following (With Recipes):

10 Beef and Bean Burritos:

1 Lbs of Ground Beef
1 Can of Refried Beans
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Cup Chopped Scallions
10 Flour Tortillas
Taco Seasoning

Browned Ground Beef with Taco seasoning added

Fill your tortilla with the ingredients

Roll em up

Wrap individually in tin foil and store in extra large freezer bags
 
 
2 Mexican Lasagnas
 
 
1 Large Crock pot of Beef & Bean Chili
 
3 Lbs Ground Beef Browned
1 Large Onion Chopped
1 Large Green & Red Pepper Chopped
5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2 Jalapenos, Minced
1 Can each of Black Beans, Kidney Beans & White Kidney Beans
3 Cans Crushed Tomato's
1 Can Tomato Paste
3 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tsp Cayenne
1 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
 
 

 
Throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker. Stir and let cook on low for 6-8 hours. Allow to cool overnight and ladle into Freezer bags. Freeze flat!
 
1 Large Pot of Bolognese Sauce
 
 
So that was day 1 of cooking. I was going to also make the Pulled pork in my second slow cooker but was not able to find a good deal on Pork Shoulder until Monday (which I still bought and just froze uncooked until I make more freezer meals to replenish the stock!)
 
Tomorrow's post will feature day 2 of cooking!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment