Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Spaghetti with Spicy Marinara Sauce

The last month has been insanely busy for me. So many social events, the big marathon I was training for, thanksgiving..twice! So i guess lately my weeknight cooking has been fast, easy go to's that i never really though were worthy enough for a post. However, this quick and easy weeknight meal has so much flavour I had to post it. I got the inspiration from a Food Network show ("The best thing I ever ate"), and have been making this dish on the eve of my long run Saturdays for the last month. So good!
I make this first step in advance and bottle it in an old olive oil bottle. The oil is so flavourful that I use it in a lot of my cooking now..not just this dish! Pour about 1 Cup of good quality Extra Virgin Olive oil into a pot. Add 3 or 4 peeled garlic cloves...slightly smashed with the side of your knife, 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh basil and a pinch of red chili flakes. Set the heat to low and let simmer until the garlic turns a light golden brown...do not let it burn. Remove the garlic from the oil and set aside to cool. Pour into an old olive oil container if you like.
Peel and seed about 6 roma tomato's...roughly chop and add to a deep pan on medium heat.
Simmer the tomato's for about 10 minutes, then using a potato masher, mash the tomatoes a little bit more until it gets to a chunky tomato sauce consistency. Simmer away for an additional 10 minutes stirring every so often and allowing most of the water in the tomato's to evaporate.
Pour about 1 tbsp of the oil mixture into your tomato's...I obviously made a fresh batch and just poured it straight in! Season at this point with a little salt and pepper or additional chili flakes if its not spicy enough for you.
Add 1 tbsp of butter and combine until butter is melted and incorporated into the sauce. About 5 more minutes.
Add your favourite cooked pasta to the sauce (I used whole wheat linguine) and a handful of fresh basil.
toss with a generous handful of freshly grated romano or parmesean cheese.
Voila! The most delicious pasta I have ever eaten!

1 comment:

  1. Mm, that sounds delicious. And you have to love a recipe that simple!

    ReplyDelete