Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Quinoa Mac & Cheese

So obviously I have had a recent obsession with Quinoa...but its just so darn good and quick to make on a weeknight. I love it!!
This recipe however..puts a little bit of an unhealthy twist to it...but equally as delicious! You pretty much just make your normal mac & cheese but substituting the macaroni with cooked Quinoa! Brilliant!

 I like bacon in pretty much everything...so why not in this. Take 6 Strips of Thick Cut bacon and dice. Fry up in a saucepan.
 Drain most of the bacon grease out and add 1 small chopped onion. Cook until onion is translucent and set this aside for now.
 In a large pot melt 3 Tbsp of butter over medium high heat. Add 2 Tbsp of flour and combine until it starts to brown in colour and produce a nutty smell.
 Reduce the heat slightly and add 2 Cups 2% Milk. You can use cream here but I felt this was rich enough without it. Whisk until the milk comes up to a low simmer.
 now add 2 Cups shredded cheddar, 1 Cup Shredded Monterrey Jack and 1/2 Cup freshly grated Parmesan.
 Whisk until the cheese sauce is nice and creamy and thick.
 Add your cooked Quinoa and combine. I used about 4 Cups of cooked Quinoa for this recipe.
 Lastly add your bacon/Onion mixture and 3 chopped Scallions. Test for seasoning (Salt and Pepper)
Voila! My husband thought the texture was strange since it has a distinct Mac and Cheese flavour but with a grain instead of pasta...but it was definitely yummy and hit the spot!

2 comments:

  1. Sooo, how much quinoa should be used??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeeks! Thanks for pointing that out!! I used 4 cups of cooked quinoa (It was one whole package of the brand I use). I have edited the recipe!

    ReplyDelete