Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Fish Tacos with Baja Sauce

Once in a while I like to try something new and adventurous. However, my husband is not like me in that aspect at all. So I just make the new weird foods anyways and MAKE him try them. Very rarely has he ever complained and now I think he has a little bit of an adventurous side to him too when it comes to food.

 Last week when the weather started to get nice and summery I felt like we needed something light for dinner. So I sat down at my computer and started googling summer eats. One thing that kept on popping up was Fish tacos. I am so not turned on by the thought of fish in taco form. But if so many people are claiming that this is such an amazing combination then I had to try it myself (and make my husband try it too!).

I will tell you this much. I was NOT disappointed ;)

First you need to make the fish batter. Take 1 Cup of whole wheat flour.
Add 1 teaspoon baking powder
And your spices. I added, dried parsley, oregano, cayenne, garlic and onion powder and paprika.
Now add about 1/2 cup beer and 1 egg to the dry ingredients


Whisk until combined. Add a little more beer if the mixture is too thick. Set aside while you prepare the Baja sauce.
For the baja sauce you will need a handful of cilantro, 1 chopped jalapeno, 1 avocado, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 Lime and salt and pepper to taste. Put the cilantro and pepper in a food processor or blender. Blend until minced.
Now add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
I know, this looks totally strange and you are probably and little worried about me right now. But trust me...this stuff is so yummy.
Put the sauce in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the tacos
Now for the fish! I decided to use fresh Haddock because that was what was available at my local fish market that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Cod, Tilapia, Halibut or Snapper would also do, just make sure it is fresh and not frozen.

Fresh = Good
Frozen = Bad

Got it? 

Good!

Slice the fish into small filet's. Makes it easier to stuff the tacos with smaller pieces~
 
Dunk your fish in the batter (I missed taking a picture of the step where I coated the fish in flour first. This will help keep the batter on the fish while frying it)
Place the fish in frying pan with about 1/2 inch vegetable oil heated to medium high. Fry fish on both sides until batter turns a golden brown. It should only take a couple minutes per side.
This is the first batch that I didn't coat with flour first...see how the batter is flaking off?? Don't make my mistake!

Still turned out pretty damn good though! I didn't complain!


Assemble your taco! On warmed flour tortillas add some cabbage mix, a couple pieces of fish, and drizzle some of that baja sauce over the whole thing.

So crispy, light and delicious!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment