Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms!

I have been watching marathons of the food network lately and noticed on an episode of Iron Chef that not only are zucchini blossoms edible...they are supposed to be delish. And boy are they right. They have a slight zucchini flavour to them and when stuffed with ricotta and deep friend...you have hit a completely new level of food love.

 So after doing a little research on zucchini blossoms I learned that there is a female blossom and a male blossom. The female blossoms will taste a little stronger than the males, as the females turn into the actual zucchini. You can tell the difference in the stems as the male blossoms have a thinner stem than the females. I used all males in this dish.
 Because I picked all the blossoms in the evening the flowers were closed. I just carefully pulled down the flower petals one by one to open...and snipped out that stem in the middle of the flower.
 To prepare your filling, take 1/2 Cup Ricotta cheese, 1 tbsp Romano cheese, 1 tsp minced fresh basil and 1 minced garlic clove. Stir to combine and set aside.
 Prepare your batter. I used 1/2 cup flour to 1 cup water. You want the batter to be kinda soupy and not thick at all. Add more water if you like.
 Using a piping bag stuff your blossoms with the ricotta mixture and twist the petal tips together.
 At this point you want to get your oil heating up in a deep saucepan or pot. It is hot enough when you drop a bit of batter in the hot oil and the drop rises and floats on the oil. I had my heat set to medium-low.
 Dip your stuffed blossom in the batter
And carefully place in the hot oil. cook for about 2-4 minutes or until batter has turned a light brown. No need to play with it while it is frying as you don't want the stuffing to fall out. When complete lay on a sheet of paper towel to drain off any excess oil and season with sea salt. Serve immediately!
 I didn't even let my husband try any of these...I ate them all myself they were that good!

No comments:

Post a Comment