Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Monday, August 15, 2011

Tomato Basil Mayo Sandwich

I have just returned from a week of relaxing at my in-laws cottage. It really was a whole week of doing nothing but float around in the lake on an inflatable raft and drinking beer. So obviously not a lot of fancy cooking happened, and the fancy cooking that did occur were repeat recipes already on the blog. So today I have something super simple, yet refreshing after a week of empty carbs!

 My first inspiration for this sandwich was my garden. After coming home from our vacation I was greeted by perfectly ripened yellow tomatoes and huge bunches of basil.
 In a bowl combine 1 heaping tbsp light mayo with 1 minced garlic clove and about 7-10 leaves of basil, minced. Season with salt and pepper.
 A dash of fresh lemon juice would have been lovely in this as well..but I didn't have any lemons :(
 Slice up your tomato
 Toast 2 slices of whole grain bread and spread some of the basil mayo on it...the more the better.
 Top with your gorgeous sliced tomato
Slice in half and devour. Yum!

1 comment: