Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Homestyle Chili


Ok Chili connoisseurs, look away because I like to break all the rules when it comes to my chili. I like beans in my chili, and lots of vegetables...so there!! I really don't have a specific recipe when it comes to making chili. I like to put in whatever i have in the fridge and experiment with different kinds of meats. Here is the version I made last week!

First crisp up about 6 thick cut slices of bacon, chopped.
 
 Once the bacon is crispy add 1 lb extra lean ground beef, 1 lb ground pork, and 1 lb stewing beef cut into bite size chunks. You will need a very large pot for this recipe...when i make chili I make enough to freeze for many more meals.
 While your meat is browning now is a good time to add your first round of spice mix. My spice mix contains 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp kosher salt. Double this mixture and use half now, reserve the other half for later.
 Once your meat is browned you can add your vegetables. 1 added 1 large onion, 3 stalks of celery, 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 2 jalapenos and 5 cloves of garlic.
 I also found about 6 mushrooms in my fridge and added those as well.
Mix everything together and turn the heat down on low

 Now I like to add beans to my chili. They are high in fibre and a great way to get more protein in this dish. Today I added Red and White Kidney Beans and 1 can of Baked beans in molasses. Add the baked beans now but save the others for later.
Add 1 Can of Crushed tomatoes, 1 can of Tomato Paste, and 1 tbsp Brown sugar. Stir to combine.

 Cover your chili and let it cook on low for at LEAST 3 hours. The longer it simmers the more the flavours have a chance to come together.
One hour before serving add the White and Red kidney beans

 And the second half of your seasoning mix. Now is a great time to take a taste and see if you need more seasoning mix, or salt, or heat. Let this simmer for 1 more hour.
Serve with fresh scallions and a cornbread muffin (recipe for those later this week!) and park yourself somewhere warm and cozy. Really, this is the perfect fall/winter meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment