Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Honeyed Strawberry and Vanilla Bean Cheesecake

I found this recipe in the LCBO Food magazine last month and I just had to try it...Like that night.
I did modify it some and it still turned out silky, creamy and not too sweet. The biggest attraction for me was the fact that this cheesecake took no sugar. Honey, but no granulated sugar. Right there I knew I would love this. Although I love to cook sweets, I actually don't really crave or eat them that often.
BUT THIS!!! THIS, I would eat every day if I could!

First we need to make the crust. Take about 1 1/2 Cups of Graham Cracker Crumbs and add 2 tbsp melted butter to it. I also add about 1 tsp brown sugar and a dash of nutmeg. Combine. My finger looks totally demented in this photo.
Press the graham cracker mixture down into a spring form pan. I lined the bottom with parchment paper as well. Pop this in a 350F oven for 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Now for the filling. In your mixer add 3 bricks cream cheese (at room temperature..very important!). Mix on medium speed until creamy and fluffy.
Creamy yes?
Now go on the hunt for a vanilla bean. I visited 3 grocery stores until I found them. Trust me...the flavour is beautiful when you use a real bean. Take a sharp knife and carefully slice the bean lengthwise and split it open.
Run your sharp knife down the bean to collect all the goodness inside. Add to the cream cheese mixture.
Add 1 Cup Organic Honey
And slowly add in 3 eggs. Scrap down the sides every so often to make sure everything is combined.
Ready to go!
Pour into your prepared crust pan
Place in the 350F oven for 45minutes. After 45 minutes turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven for about 1 hour slowly cooling down. Do not open the oven...you want to keep the heat in to finish cooking the cake!
While the cake is cooling in the oven prepare your topping. Take some fresh strawberry's and slice them
Add 1 Tbsp Honey and the juice of 1/2 a lemon
Toss and set aside in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Now that the cheesecake is completely cooled you can either keep it in the fridge until ready to serve or dig in right away. I vote for digging in right away. Run a butter knife around the cake and release the spring on the pan. Top the cake with the strawberry's and drizzle the leftover juices over the cake. Voila...a cheesecake that will surely impress your guests (and taste buds!)

No comments:

Post a Comment