Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Friday, June 24, 2011

Strawberry Scones!

So its Friday and I made it through my first ever theme week! I hope you all enjoyed my Strawberry inspired recipes...and I saved this beauty for last! A great breakfast on the go and I find them the best when they are just out of the oven and still warm!
Enjoy your weekend all!

The first thing I did was get all my ingredients ready. This recipe comes together very quick so you want to have it all ready to go. First things first, pre-heat your oven to 400F.

 Cube about 3/4 of a pound of very cold butter. I cubed my butter then stuck it in the freezer until I was ready to add it to the recipe.
 1 Cup finely chopped fresh strawberry's
 And 1 Cup of Heavy cream and 4 large eggs, combined. Set all these aside and put together your dry ingredients.
 In your mixer combine 4 cups flour, 2 tbsp Baking Powder, 2 Tbsp Sugar and 1 tsp salt. Combine on the lowest setting on your mixer.
 Next add your butter. I combined on high for about 1 minute...just enough for the butter to start to break down into pea sized pieces. Lower the speed again to the lowest setting and quickly add the cream/egg mixture.
 It will come together very quickly. You do not want to over mix this so only combine until it comes together. It will be sticky.
 Now add the strawberry's. I added these and combined by hand.
 Dump the dough onto a floured surface and roll out to about 3/4 inch thick.
 Using a pizza cutter cut the dough into squares and then diagonally into triangles. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
 Make yourself an egg wash (1 egg with a splash of water) and brush on to all the scones. Sprinkle a little sugar over all the scones as well.
 Bake in the 400F oven for 20-25 minutes or until scones have puffed up and are a light brown.
 Serve with Strawberry jam
Or to make it EXTRA special...Jam and homemade whipped cream. AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment